[Grantees] 2018 Teen Read Week Grantees

This space is for the 2018 TRW grantees to share info and updates about their programs.

Views: 711

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So in addition to having Kathryn Erskine come out to talk about her book, The Incredible Magic of Being, and having an astronomy professor come out to talk about space/galaxy/stars, we have finally chosen the book for our student book club. I decided to go in the direction of sci-fi for this book to try to get a different group of teens interested, and chose the book Friends for Life (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26186828-friends-for-life ), that features a ghost and her relationship with troubled kids.  I have bought 15 copies and we will hold a culminating activity during Teen Read Week with lunch served to the students. 

It is great to hear how well everyone is doing.  I have met with the local manager and I gave him a certificate.  We even took a picture.  Our Fit Desk Bikes came in and students are signing up for the #ReadFit and #ReadWoke challenge.  I am so excited about everything!  

We are down to a little more than 2 weeks before TRW! Our funds finally went through the process of city approval and distribution and should be ordering our items hopefully today.

We have receive allot of positive attention on our TRW program from staff and patrons (see attached flyer) and will be emailing the schools and clubs soon about the program. In addition, we have finished our blog post for YALSA and will submit pictures upon our program's completion. There are allot of moving pieces but our teen services team (of two) is working their hardest for our teens and community!

Our Teen Advisory Group has been a great help for our marketing and outreach for this program as well.

Attachments:

This is awesome!!!

Cicely Lewis said:

It is great to hear how well everyone is doing.  I have met with the local manager and I gave him a certificate.  We even took a picture.  Our Fit Desk Bikes came in and students are signing up for the #ReadFit and #ReadWoke challenge.  I am so excited about everything!  

I love your flyers. Your events are going to be out of this world!

Brittany Garcia said:

We are down to a little more than 2 weeks before TRW! Our funds finally went through the process of city approval and distribution and should be ordering our items hopefully today.

We have receive allot of positive attention on our TRW program from staff and patrons (see attached flyer) and will be emailing the schools and clubs soon about the program. In addition, we have finished our blog post for YALSA and will submit pictures upon our program's completion. There are allot of moving pieces but our teen services team (of two) is working their hardest for our teens and community!

Our Teen Advisory Group has been a great help for our marketing and outreach for this program as well.

I must have deleted the recent email from Taylor about completing either the blog entry or the video, and what the time frames were...could someone copy and paste it in the body of this forum? I thought her comments were posted here, but they aren't. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

YALSA created this Ning Network.

Join this site!

Join this Teen Read Week website for great resources and opportunities such as:

• A low-res download of the 2018 TRW themed logo (found under the planning tab - must be signed into account)
  • Free access to archived TRW related webinars
  • Alerts about grant opportunities
  • More perks to come so be sure to register and check back for updates!

Why is TRW Important?

Photos

• Add Photos

Teen Read Week on the YALSA Blog

Call for Volunteers for the Reenvisioning TRW/TTW Taskforce

On September 24th the YALSA board approved a Board Document that calls for the formation of a taskforce to reenvision the Teen Tech Week and Teen Read Week initiatives and create a larger advocacy/awareness campaign to promote the importance of year-round teen services. If you are interested in being a… Continue reading

Teen Read Week: Planning a School-Wide Read Program

When I read Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds for the first time last year, I was completely overwhelmed–this story was about my students! So many of them have lost family and friends due to gun violence, and many of them have been faced with similar emotional tragedies in their… Continue reading

Teen Read Week: Board Game Collection Encourages English Language Learners To “Read For the Fun of It”

Every year the Teen Read Week Committee selects the recipients of the Teen Read Week grants funded by contributions from YALSA and Dollar General.   Cynthia Shutts at the White Oak Public Library (IL) was awarded one of this year’s Teen Read Week grants to create a circulating board game collection… Continue reading

Badge

Loading…

Videos

• Add Videos

American Library Association

© 2018   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service