[Grantees] 2018 Teen Read Week Grantees

This space is for the 2018 TRW grantees to share info and updates about their programs.

Views: 712

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, all!

My name is Suzie Martin.  I am the Adult Services Librarian at Clarksburg-Harrison P

ublic Library in North Central West  Virginia.  My library serves a community of about 57,000 and is a service center for six additiional libraries scattered throughout the area.  Most of our citizens are low to middle income.  Given our rural location, transportation is often a barrier for young people coming to the library. Our response is to take the library to them! 

We plan to use our YALSA/Dollar General grant to take book clubs to schools in our community.  We will begin the club in early September and have a culminating activity during Teen Read Week. Stay tuned for details!

As a middle school librarian, I love seeing your partnership with the schools! We keep trying to get ours involved with us, but it has been frustrating. 

Hi!  My name is Cicely Lewis and I am a high school librarian in Norcross, GA.  I am so excited to be a recipient of the Dollar General grant!  My high school services over 3,500 patrons and this is my third year as a school librarian.  I was a teacher for 7 years in the same school and I love working with students in this new capacity.  I plan to use the Dollar General Grant to fund  our Read Woke Challenge.  This challenge requires students to read books about issues that affect our society and bring awareness while promoting tolerance.  

I look forward to sharing!

#readwoke

Cicely, this sounds like such an important project.  We certainly have a lot to talk about! I look forward to hearing more about your project, particularly the novels and other literature you will use.

Best wishes!

Suzie Martin

Cicely Lewis said:

Hi!  My name is Cicely Lewis and I am a high school librarian in Norcross, GA.  I am so excited to be a recipient of the Dollar General grant!  My high school services over 3,500 patrons and this is my third year as a school librarian.  I was a teacher for 7 years in the same school and I love working with students in this new capacity.  I plan to use the Dollar General Grant to fund  our Read Woke Challenge.  This challenge requires students to read books about issues that affect our society and bring awareness while promoting tolerance.  

I look forward to sharing!

#readwoke

Thanks for your reply, Kimberly.  I think of us all as one branch of the universal library.  We become stronger by working together!

KIMBERLY S MCCALLISTER said:

As a middle school librarian, I love seeing your partnership with the schools! We keep trying to get ours involved with us, but it has been frustrating. 

Aren't we all the lucky ones?! So glad to have received this grant for my middle school in Virginia. We struggle with our literacy scores on the state assessments (SOLs), but I have seen improvement the more we as an entire community focus on literacy. I try really hard to hold reading programs throughout the year, but this Dollar General grant will allow me to have a really special Teen Read Week. I have author Katheryn Erskine coming out to talk one day about her book The Incredible Magic of Being, the writing process and the research she had to do into our galaxy to support her protagonist's interest. I am also bringing in a professor from a local college (Randolph Macon) to speak abut astronomy, and we are having a book club featuring a sci-fi title that I am still choosing (and reading lots of books over this summer). Our final book club meeting will be held that week. 

I am fortunate enough to have a co-librarian to share my enthusiasm, but since she will just be starting employment with me in September, this will make her new job even more exciting! She has been in a high school setting for over 10 years, and middle school will be a return to her roots. 

My principal and admin team are equally excited to know that we can reinforce literacy with such fun and interesting programs. 

Hi! My name is Terri Carpenter. I'm the Young Adult Librarian at the Vineland Public Library in Vineland, NJ. Our library serves a diverse population of around 60,000 people with 17.6% of the population living at or below the poverty level.Due to the high poverty rate, free library programs provide the only access to literacy-based, fun, teen activities for many Vineland families. 

We are using the YALSA/Dollar General TRW Grant to host a Teen Lock-In during Teen Read Week. We'll be purchasing Breakout boxes that we'll use to help us turn our entire library into a giant escape room. There will be science fiction/fantasy themed challenges, clues and puzzles that teens must solve to “Escape the Library.” 

This grant is so important to us! We've recently suffered budget cuts and our Friends of the Library group is our sole source of funding for materials. As a result, we have very little left over for programming. This is a much needed boost for our library! 

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

     

Hi! My name is Becky White. I am the Children's Librarian at Bolivar-Hardeman County Library in Bolivar,Tn. Bolivar is the county seat of Hardeman County and has a city population of 5,093 and a county population of 25,435. Hardeman County has 25.2% of persons living in poverty. It is our goal to bring free, fun, literacy-based programs to our community. We are so excited that the YALSA/Dollar General TRW Grant will help us in that endeavor. We will be presenting a Star Wars theme week with the following activities: Star Wars scavenger hunt, Star Wars Cupcake Wars, Lightsaber craft, Star Wars movie night, and a trip to Discovery Park America.

Good Afternoon Everyone!

My name is Brittany Garcia and I am the Adult Services Librarian at the Rancho Cucamonga Public Library in Southern California. The Rancho Cucamonga Public Library is part of the Inland Empire* which refers to the cities of western Riverside County and southwestern San Bernardino County. The city of Rancho Cucamonga's population is about 176,000, but due to the nature of the Inland Empire, there are neighboring cities (Ontario, Upland, Fontana, etc.) that also frequent the Rancho Cucamonga Library. There are two libraries within the Rancho Cucamonga Public Library system: Archibald Library and the Biane Library. Our community is quite mixed between low, middle, and upper middle income due to the complexities of our visitors coming from all over the Inland Empire. In addition, the Biane Library is housed at the Victoria Gardens, an open-air town-center, which is a large draw for the Inland Empire.

Our goal is to utilize the YALSA/Dollar General grant to create a series of programs that lead up to our first teen book club meeting in several years. All programming will take place during Teen Read Week and will include traditional and non-traditional learning styles to allow teens to explore literacy from different aspects (theoretical, practical, experimental, and experiential learning, etc.). Currently, we are planning to have four programs including "Written in the Stars: Telescope Observation," "Out of this World: Meet & Greet," (NASA ambassador and JPL interns) "Build your own spaceship," (technological as well as physically) and ending with our Book Club meeting of "Railhead" by Philip Reeve (named Best Fiction for Young Adults 2017 by YALSA). 

I am very excited to be here and to continue to post about upcoming details, resources, ideas, and utilize this site as well. I am a recent addition to the Teen Services team (there are 2 of us) for this library and am looking to expand programming and resources for teens from a single monthly program at one library location to more programming, equal access, and advocacy for all teens. This grant will help immensely with these goals. Looking forward to meeting and talking with everyone! Thank you!

*The U.S Census defines Riverside-San Bernardino–Ontario metropolitan area, covers more than 27,000 square miles and has a population of approximately 4 million. ["Annual Estimates of the Population of Combined Statistical Areas: ...2006 Population EstimatesU.S. Census Bureau, Population Division. April 7, 2010.]

The kids will LOVE it! We held a "Escape the Library" event each week for two months during school lunch blocks this past year and the kids had a blast. In fact, it was so successful we decided to do our school summer reading program event based on Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library and one station is the escape room again...this time we will have almost all rising 6th graders. 



Terri Carpenter said:

Hi! My name is Terri Carpenter. I'm the Young Adult Librarian at the Vineland Public Library in Vineland, NJ. Our library serves a diverse population of around 60,000 people with 17.6% of the population living at or below the poverty level.Due to the high poverty rate, free library programs provide the only access to literacy-based, fun, teen activities for many Vineland families. 

We are using the YALSA/Dollar General TRW Grant to host a Teen Lock-In during Teen Read Week. We'll be purchasing Breakout boxes that we'll use to help us turn our entire library into a giant escape room. There will be science fiction/fantasy themed challenges, clues and puzzles that teens must solve to “Escape the Library.” 

This grant is so important to us! We've recently suffered budget cuts and our Friends of the Library group is our sole source of funding for materials. As a result, we have very little left over for programming. This is a much needed boost for our library! 

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

That sounds like so much fun! I'd love more details about your activities in case we want to try a few this school year. 

Becky White said:

     

Hi! My name is Becky White. I am the Children's Librarian at Bolivar-Hardeman County Library in Bolivar,Tn. Bolivar is the county seat of Hardeman County and has a city population of 5,093 and a county population of 25,435. Hardeman County has 25.2% of persons living in poverty. It is our goal to bring free, fun, literacy-based programs to our community. We are so excited that the YALSA/Dollar General TRW Grant will help us in that endeavor. We will be presenting a Star Wars theme week with the following activities: Star Wars scavenger hunt, Star Wars Cupcake Wars, Lightsaber craft, Star Wars movie night, and a trip to Discovery Park America.

Hi, my name is Jeff Cupo, and I'm the Young Adult/Community Services Librarian at Montville Township Public Library. Montville Township is a small, suburban town in Morris County, NJ with a population of 22,000. As the children of NYC commuters and a large foreign-born population, our teens are linguistically diverse, have a strong interest in arts and culture, and are heavily invested in academics. During past young adult events, our teens have expressed interest in the invented languages in books such as The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance Cycle series.

With the goal of bringing our diverse teen community together and relating our study of language to the wider world, we propose a series of three activities relating to Constructed Languages in Science Fiction and Fantasy. First, we’ve scheduled Christopher Paolini and David J. Peterson (creator of languages for HBO’s Game of Thrones) to present via Skype to discuss the topic of language in fiction. Second, we would have a book discussion related to this concept, choosing books in which a constructed language is a major part of the story, such as Elvish, the invented languages of Paolini’s worlds, or even Newspeak from 1984. Our third activity would be a STEAM workshop devoted to creating a new language. In each of these last two activities, we would also discuss the theory of linguistic relativity, or that the structure of a language actually affects how each speaker thinks and views the world. We are using the Dollar General Teen Read Week Grant to fund this three-tiered program series.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

YALSA created this Ning Network.

Join this site!

Join this Teen Read Week website for great resources and opportunities such as:

  • A low-res download of the 2018 TRW themed logo (found under the planning tab - must be signed into account)
  • Free access to archived TRW related webinars
  • Alerts about grant opportunities
  • More perks to come so be sure to register and check back for updates!

Why is TRW Important?

Photos

  • Add Photos
  • View All

Teen Read Week on the YALSA Blog

Call for Volunteers for the Reenvisioning TRW/TTW Taskforce

On September 24th the YALSA board approved a Board Document that calls for the formation of a taskforce to reenvision the Teen Tech Week and Teen Read Week initiatives and create a larger advocacy/awareness campaign to promote the importance of year-round teen services. If you are interested in being a… Continue reading

Teen Read Week: Planning a School-Wide Read Program

When I read Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds for the first time last year, I was completely overwhelmed–this story was about my students! So many of them have lost family and friends due to gun violence, and many of them have been faced with similar emotional tragedies in their… Continue reading

Teen Read Week: Board Game Collection Encourages English Language Learners To “Read For the Fun of It”

Every year the Teen Read Week Committee selects the recipients of the Teen Read Week grants funded by contributions from YALSA and Dollar General.   Cynthia Shutts at the White Oak Public Library (IL) was awarded one of this year’s Teen Read Week grants to create a circulating board game collection… Continue reading

Badge

Loading…

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

American Library Association

© 2018   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service