What new Teen Read Week program ideas do you have around engaging diverse teens? Share them with us here!

Views: 2729

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been doing this program for the last three teen read weeks but I enjoy doing a teen book swap. It allows the teens to get books. I make sure they know that they do not have to bring books. I get a lot from donations so make sure everyone who wants a book can have one.

That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I will incorporate that at my school. 

Cindy Shutts said:

I have been doing this program for the last three teen read weeks but I enjoy doing a teen book swap. It allows the teens to get books. I make sure they know that they do not have to bring books. I get a lot from donations so make sure everyone who wants a book can have one.

We're having our first Teen Read-a-Thon to kick-off TRW. Teens can read off their fines: $5 waiver for 30 mins, $10 waiver for 60. Also doing a Teen Storytime & Fingerpainting on our weekly Crafternoon :)

Get Caught Reading.  My Library Media Ambassadors (a group of 18 middle school leaders) will be giving out a piece of candy to each student they catch reading for pleasure.  

I  love this idea!  I think my TAB will enjoy it too!

Jaime Ann Sanborn said:

Get Caught Reading.  My Library Media Ambassadors (a group of 18 middle school leaders) will be giving out a piece of candy to each student they catch reading for pleasure.  

We are going to rate books one to five. We will make five posters with stars on them. The students will rate a book that they read by selecting the poster that best fits their feeling about any book that they read from one star to five stars. We will take a picture of each student with the book and their rating. These will be posted on the library website. 

I like this idea.  I'm trying to get students to read new books so this my be the way to do it.

Thanks.

Elizabeth Kahn said:

We are going to rate books one to five. We will make five posters with stars on them. The students will rate a book that they read by selecting the poster that best fits their feeling about any book that they read from one star to five stars. We will take a picture of each student with the book and their rating. These will be posted on the library website. 

We offer programs tied to the theme. This year we are offering "It's Written in the Stars: Astrology and the Zodiac." Our 40-minute program will open with an intro to astrology video I found on YouTube. Students will then break into "sign" groups and discuss material that I am pulling from various sources about personal characteristics, relationships, etc. Our astrology books will be pulled and available for check out. We are hoping this will attract our some of students who normally would not come to a library program.

I am collaborating with our local public library to offer a Star Wars Reads Day program. I'm not sure what that will include but it will be a modified version of what the public library is doing all day on a Saturday. I think the "It's Written in the Stars" works well Star Wars! And, hopefully, it will attract a group of students to the library that normally would not come to a library program.

I'm still working on our third program, but it will feature a 15-minute video about ancient "alien" technology. Books from our "unknown/alien/etc." collection will be featured as well as some vintage sci-fi books.

It's written in the stars ... READ! Join us for some stargazing outside on the lawn with the Sidewalk Astronomers, we will have snacks and a book swap as we celebrate Teen Read Month in Tulsa OK @ Helmerich Library!

We are hosting a Read Woke Book Tasting that centers around diverse books and books about social injustices.  Students are then going to create a PSA and module to help train other students.  We are also going to have a Read Woke discussion panel with community leaders to discuss social injustices in our community.

All of the teen librarians in our district have come up with a menu for teens that offers passive activities as well as programs to attend, at each of our branches.  We are doing book brackets, scavenger hunts, glow-in-the-dark galaxy parties, astronomy activities, trivia contests, green screen photos, and a ton more.  This is our first year coming together to present a unified program series under TRW.  We are excited to see how it turns out!

Since I'm new, I didn't have time to do Library Mini Golf like I wanted to. Instead, I'm just trying to organize and process new books. For fun, I have put out a floor keyboard and the Teen Read Week logo.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

YALSA created this Ning Network.

Join this site!

Join this Teen Read Week website for great resources and opportunities such as:

• A low-res download of the 2018 TRW themed logo (found under the planning tab - must be signed into account)
  • Free access to archived TRW related webinars
  • Alerts about grant opportunities
  • More perks to come so be sure to register and check back for updates!

Why is TRW Important?

Photos

• Add Photos

Teen Read Week on the YALSA Blog

Teen Read Week at Montville Township Public Library

We at Montville Township Public Library were very grateful to be awarded the Teen Read Week Grant this year and used it to do a four program series relating to Constructed Languages in Science Fiction and Fantasy. First, a book discussion related to this concept, choosing books in which a… Continue reading

Call for Volunteers for the Reenvisioning TRW/TTW Taskforce

On September 24th, the YALSA board approved a Board Document that calls for the formation of a taskforce to re-envision the Teen Tech Week and Teen Read Week initiatives and create a larger advocacy/awareness campaign to promote the importance of year-round teen services. If you are interested in being a… Continue reading

Teen Read Week: Planning a School-Wide Read Program

When I read Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds for the first time last year, I was completely overwhelmed–this story was about my students! So many of them have lost family and friends due to gun violence, and many of them have been faced with similar emotional tragedies in their… Continue reading

Badge

Loading…

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

American Library Association

© 2018   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service