[Grantees] 2018 Teen Read Week Grantees

This space is for the 2018 TRW grantees to share info and updates about their programs.

Views: 724

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had received the Logo Usage yet for TRW and DG? I know there was an email a few weeks ago on TRW materials and graphics, but has anyone received the PNGs or JPEGs for these logos? Thanks in advance!

Hi Brittany,

You're right! I forgot to send them out with the call notes, my mistake! I just sent them in a email to you all. Sorry about that, but thanks for the reminder!

-Taylor

Brittany Garcia said:

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had received the Logo Usage yet for TRW and DG? I know there was an email a few weeks ago on TRW materials and graphics, but has anyone received the PNGs or JPEGs for these logos? Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone, 

I hope the grant planning process has been going well. I had a prelimary meeting with the teen staff last week and will be taking fleshed out ideas of the grant programming to our department manager. I am really excited to see what we get approved for and can’t wait to share the details on Wednesday with this group. While all the programming of the grant proposal shall happen - we are looking to enhance and ameliorate our original proposal. However, one exciting facet is the “donation or sponsorship” of 4 game access codes for Space Engineers on STEAM.  They are such a lovely company. The game will fit into our “build a spaceship” program as an extra feature. For a demo of the  game check out it here

However, the game is so high tech; there is some concern about having high powered and technologically advanced enough equipment to play it. There is some hope with two new laptops coming in... will keep you all updated.

How is everyone else’s planning going? 

Planning is going well! I have my astronomer and author booked (Tuesday and Wed of TRW) and am still choosing the book for the book club. We are paying an additional $1000 to the author visit since it will now be a full day thanks to the grant!

Brittany Garcia said:

Hey everyone, 

I hope the grant planning process has been going well. I had a prelimary meeting with the teen staff last week and will be taking fleshed out ideas of the grant programming to our department manager. I am really excited to see what we get approved for and can’t wait to share the details on Wednesday with this group. While all the programming of the grant proposal shall happen - we are looking to enhance and ameliorate our original proposal. However, one exciting facet is the “donation or sponsorship” of 4 game access codes for Space Engineers on STEAM.  They are such a lovely company. The game will fit into our “build a spaceship” program as an extra feature. For a demo of the  game check out it here

However, the game is so high tech; there is some concern about having high powered and technologically advanced enough equipment to play it. There is some hope with two new laptops coming in... will keep you all updated.

How is everyone else’s planning going? 

Is there a way I can get a copy of my original grant application emailed to me? I just found out that the school system requires that to be on file before deposits can be made...and THANK YOU- the check arrived today!  

Hi,

The check arrived as well for us too! Super exciting! I have been working on promotional materials and was wondering if there was allowance - if anyone knew- on using the banner design in our flyers and designs? I love the banner design so much and I use Canva which is where this draft flyer was created. 

Attachments:

Hello all! I am entering my 4th year as a high school librarian at Tarrant High School in Tarrant, AL. I serve a population of 7th-12th grade students that all come from impoverished homes. I like to think outside of the box and push creativity in education. I love collaborating with classrooms and creating fun learning experiences for our students. With this grant money, I am planning on doing a school-wide read of Jason Reynold's Long Way Down, which is extremely relevant to my students' every day lives. They will listen to/read the book in class and write a reactionary poem/rap. Their work will be entered into a poetry/rap slam contest. 

Unfortunately the state has scheduled mandatory testing during Teen Read Week, so we will be doing our school-wide read the following week, but everyone is excited about focusing on reading and writing and story-telling with a story that will get to the heart of our community. 

Weekly Update: I have a meeting with a local NASA ambassador to see if she can attend our Q&A panel for teens to ask individuals employed, volunteering, or interning with JPL/NASA about careers within the field. I am hopeful that she can either attend our event or if she help submit the official request for the NASA to send one. Also, the teen services team (Janet and I) have met with our supervisor to ask for space and additional staff and asking for a Twitter account for the week. Hopefully, these ideas get approved - but I will update more next week. Thank you!

We got some bookmarks today!

I received them last week but my poster was destroyed.  I need to email Taylor to resend me another.

Brittany Garcia said:

We got some bookmarks today!

Hi !  Did you ever get a copy of this.  I need one too.  

KIMBERLY S MCCALLISTER said:

Is there a way I can get a copy of my original grant application emailed to me? I just found out that the school system requires that to be on file before deposits can be made...and THANK YOU- the check arrived today!  

No, but I emailed her directly today. I still have not made the deposit. Have you gotten a copy of your application? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About

YALSA created this Ning Network.

Join this site!

Join this Teen Read Week website for great resources and opportunities such as:

• A low-res download of the 2018 TRW themed logo (found under the planning tab - must be signed into account)
  • Free access to archived TRW related webinars
  • Alerts about grant opportunities
  • More perks to come so be sure to register and check back for updates!

Why is TRW Important?

Photos

• Add Photos

Teen Read Week on the YALSA Blog

Teen Read Week at Montville Township Public Library

We at Montville Township Public Library were very grateful to be awarded the Teen Read Week Grant this year and used it to do a four program series relating to Constructed Languages in Science Fiction and Fantasy. First, a book discussion related to this concept, choosing books in which a… Continue reading

Call for Volunteers for the Reenvisioning TRW/TTW Taskforce

On September 24th the YALSA board approved a Board Document that calls for the formation of a taskforce to reenvision the Teen Tech Week and Teen Read Week initiatives and create a larger advocacy/awareness campaign to promote the importance of year-round teen services. If you are interested in being a… Continue reading

Teen Read Week: Planning a School-Wide Read Program

When I read Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds for the first time last year, I was completely overwhelmed–this story was about my students! So many of them have lost family and friends due to gun violence, and many of them have been faced with similar emotional tragedies in their… Continue reading

Badge

Loading…

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

American Library Association

© 2018   Created by YALSA.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service